Friday 12 April 2013

FMP | Laura Ashley Logo Development



Over the past couple of days, in particular, I've noticed just how far behind I feel I have become with a few of my briefs. One of them, in particular, is the Laura Ashley brief, and not only with the personal pressure of creating a really strong and considered range of deliverables, but also having the pressure of working collaboratively, and, of course, not wanting to let Steph down personally or professionally, has acted as really good motivation to get focused.

Originally, I was having real troubles working with rendering the vector based logo, and the break certainly helped me to refine it to a level I was really happy with.

Another point from before was working on the readability of the script based type for 'The Horticultural Collection'. I decided, again, to work with Italics, but a type less script-based and calligraphic.

After some initial experiments, I felt that Caslon was really strong, both visually and conceptually. Being legible, appropriately elegant and sophisticated for the target market, but also with the added flair of swashes throughout the anatomy of the type, Caslon is Britain's oldest known serif typeface, and felt this perfectly represented the history and prestige of the Laura Ashley brand, and our chosen study of horticulture and British flowers.

I also played around with the title of the collection, potentially developing it to 'The British Horticultural Collection' to emphasise these points. 

I also think Caslon makes a beautiful editorial title font, and I'd love to experiment with using it further as body copy and throughout retail branding.

Looking forward to going through the early development with Steph and going on to explore product placement and branding along with the development of colour palettes and further design application.

No comments:

Post a Comment