Thursday 21 February 2013

FMP | Notes From 21|02|13 Crit


Notes from today's crit, both as an immediate response to the work delivered on the day (as well as on my blog), as well as responses to the given questions, as shown below, as written by myself for personalised feedback.

I was really pleased with the feedback given to me in the session (within a peer group consisting of Kirsty Alderson, Kirsty Hardingham, Claudia Griffin, Steph Lawson and Liam Rushfirth) and felt that the responses were informed and considered, as well as, most importantly, being very constructive. 

One of the most useful opinions was about the Ross Neil Video Editor branding brief, saying that the line crossing through (within the logo) could potentially be misconstrued as being something negative, or false throughout both the print and web based outcomes. This was something I had worried about, to a degree, and, along with not being enamoured with the additional brief itself, as a response to this I have decided to stop designing on this brief, and focus on my other projects instead.

-

QUESTIONS

1. Is my work diverse enough? Is there enough variation in my projects to maintain interest within my portfolio?
2. Are my skills and strengths visible in my design outcomes? If not, what could I do to improve upon this?
3. Is my portfolio too print heavy? Should I consider broadening my deliverables range?
4. Are my outcomes of a professional standard? Would you consider the outcomes to be refined?

FEEDBACK TO QUESTIONS

(Feedback from Steph Lawson)

1. It shows the direction you want to go. Maybe explore more printing and finishing processes. E.g. Embossing.
3. You have significant amount of one screen design, e.g. website. Maybe explore Gifs, Moving Image, etc. if you want to push yourself.
4. Yes.

-

(Feedback from Liam Rushfirth)

1. It demonstrates your passions and interests effectively, so I would say the range of projects is focused. 3 branding briefs (that I can see) are backed up by the visual language/psychology brief (Just keep doing the projects that you love).
2. Clear understanding of visual language, evident in the branding. Showing collaboration will also work in your favour, especially to studios.
3. Digital is an increasing sector- online media would be nice to see, may help back up and complete the range (But I am technologically based).
4. The simplicity helps the presentation. The 'Wed Things' concept is most evident as being a clear association between the brand and the design. Make sure the designs are still liked by the client but don't let their feedback compromise the concept in the design.

GENERALISED FEEDBACK

* Jung Myers - Briggs : Typology... Create a contents page to be more explanatory- guide to the personality types, etc.
* Alex Warren Architecture... The Serifs could be cut out on the card and slotted together somehow?
* WedThings logo with title case and love heart is far more effective (looks friendlier, less "Western", reads as 'Weddings' far more clearly... most effectively visually communicates the theme).

ORDER OF FAVOURITE PROJECTS (Feedback from Claudia Griffin)
Alex Warren Architecture, Paul Danks, Wed Things, Ross Neil

ALEX WARREN ARCHITECTURE

* Love this logo, very fashionable and sophisticated. Timeless so wouldn't need changing. Like how the A & W go onto the back... Clever.
* Can you bring a spot colour in or a print finish to make it a bit more exciting? Or bring in some texture to the background? Relate to theme. Feels a little bit like something is missing. 

PAUL DANKS

* Another gold star for concept driven branding. Love this logo. Looking forward to seeing this printed, will look good. Classy, professional, simple, effective.

WED THINGS

* I prefer the old logo as this was concept based (Though I like these too).
* Makes me think of cowboys, (am I mad?) but works in context.
* Stock is important. Interested to see more on this one.
* Prefer it lowercase with the heart... fun, relevant to theme.
* Could work on different products (logo 1).
* Again, timeless, suitable for younger and older brides, think everyone will like this. Where original logo might have been a bit young.

ROSS NEIL

* Why (at) and not @? Edgy.
* Like colour scheme and fonts... bold, clear and eye-catching. Will look good when professionally printed.
* Why are you crossing things out? Not sure how I feel about this because to cancel things out suggests it's not true, e.g not with compliments.

GENERAL FEEDBACK

* Lots of work and design development, well considered specifications.
* Concept driven branding.
* Well presented on boards, sufficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment